Philly Chicken Eggrolls
- Yield: servings
- 1 1/2pounds Chicken breast
- -- 2qts. Chicken Broth
- -- 1c. White Wine
- 2tablespoons Olive oil
- -- 1c. Portabella mushrooms (chopped)
- -- 1c. Onions (chopped)
- -- 1c. Green Bell Peppers (chopped)
- 1clove Garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2pound American Cheese (slices)
- 1/2pound Sharp Provolone (shredded)
- 1/2pound Cream Cheese (about 1/2 a brick)
- 2-- lg. Eggs
- 1package of 24 wonton (or eggroll) wrappers
- -- 3c. Vegetable oil (if frying best result)
- Spicy Citrus Dipping Sauce
- -- 1c. Pineapple Juice
- -- 1c. Orange Juice
- 1/4cup White Wine
- 1/4cup Chili Garlic Sauce
- 2teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 2tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1tablespoon Scallions (thinly sliced)
Preparation for Wontons:
1. Trim off excess fat from chicken breast. Place chicken broth and wine in a medium to large stock pot and bring to a simmer. (If you do not have chicken broth, use a basic court bouillion-carrots, celery and onions).
2. Place chicken breasts in simmering liquid and poach for 20 minutes-or until internal temperature of the chicken breasts have reached 160.
3. Pull chicken and cool in an ice water bath.
4. In a large skillet or wok heat olive oil until it has reached smoking point. Carefully add chopped onions, garlic, peppers and mushrooms. Saute vegetables until tender. Place cooked veggies in a bowl and cool in the fridge.
5. Pull cooled chicken and shred. This can be done by running a fork against the grain along the chicken breast-if you need, use a knife and cut chicken into a small dice.
6. Using about 2-3 cookie sheets line each with parchment paper. Arrange wonton wrapper in diamond shapes facing you. Set aside
7. In a small bowl whisk 2 eggs and add about 1 tbsp of water to create an egg wash. Set aside.
8. Set up a work station with your shredded chicken breast, cheeses and veggie mix all within reach. You can pre-slice the cream cheese into very thin slices running the width of the cream cheese brick. Cut these in half, length wise, giving you shapes that look like a small thin carrot stick. Also you can pre-slice the American cheese (in half).
9. On each wonton place one 1/2 slice of American cheese, 1 "carrot stick" sized piece of cream cheese, a 1/4 tbsp of sharp provolone, 1/2 tbsp of veggie mixture and 1-2 tbsp of shredded chicken.
10. Place ingredients in the center of each wonton leaving about 1/2 an inch of space on the sides and about an inch away from the top. Just enough space to completely enclose the ingredients inside the wonton wrapper without having excess spilling out.
11. Brush each wonton's edges with the egg wash mixture. Begin to fold the wonton wrapper by brining in the 2 edges over the stuffing. The edges should not touch together (if they do add a little bit more stuffing). Then bring the bottom of your wrapper up over the stuffing, tuck the bottom point underneath creating a roll. Then completely roll the wonton together creating a cylinder. Brush the top and sides of the wonton with a little more egg wash.
12. After all of the wontons have been rolled. Pleace in the freezer for about an hour.
13. Heat oil in either an electric fryer or large stock pot. (May need to add more oil depending on size of pot)
14. Bring oil up to about 350 degrees or test oil by dropping some flour into your pot. If the flour bubbles vigorously then your oil is hot enough.
15. Test one wonton first. Gently place wonton into fryer. Give them about 5 minutes or until they turn golden brown. If the wonton falls apart coat the remaining wontons with a little more egg wash-paying attention primarily to the creases and edges. Place wontons in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.
16. Cool wontons a wire rack until you can manage handling them.
17. To display, cut wontons in half on a bias or leave them whole and arrange them on a nice platter with a bowl of dipping sauce.
Preparation of Dipping Sauce:
1. In a medium sauce pot heat pineapple juice, white wine, chili garlic sauce and sesame oil to a simmer.
2. Combine cornstarch and orange juice to create a slurry.
3. Whisk in Orange juice slurry to simmering liquid. Sauce should thicken immediately. Cook for about 5 minutes and serve at room temperature. Garnish with scallions.