Pesto Potato Salad
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 35 minutes
- For the pesto:
- 2pounds new potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1/2cup red onions, chopped (or 6 green onions, thinly sliced)
- 1cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1/4cup pesto (see below)
- 1/4cup pine nuts
- 3cloves garlic
- 2cups packed basil leaves
- 1/4cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2/3cup olive oil
For the potato salad:
- Steam whole unpeeled potatoes until soft when pierced with a fork, about 30 to 40 minutes. Drain, cool, and cube potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and toss gently with tomatoes, onions and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt and 1/4 cup pesto. Pour dressing over potato mixture and toss gently to combine. Chill before serving.
For the pesto:
- In food processor, place 1/4 cup nuts, 3 garlic cloves, 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves and 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley; process until finely ground.
- With motor running, gradually add 2/3 cup olive oil until pesto is the consistency of mayonnaise. Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a small jar and pour a thin film of olive oil over surface of pesto. Cover tightly and store in refrigerator.