Pesto Cheese Wafers
- Yield 4 dozen
Planning is made simple by preparing this dough ahead of time and freezing until ready to use.
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine the Cheddar, butter, flour and peppers in the bowl of a food processor and mix until well blended. Transfer to another container. In the bowl of the food processor place the basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and garlic and process until well mixed. Add the cheese mixture and pulse a few times to blend well.
- Shape dough into 2 logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or until firm. Cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place side of large cutting knife blade over the top of each slice, and push down with your hand on the blade to flatten each slice to around 1/8-inch thick. Place slices on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Sally Clayton and Lee Clayton Roper’s A Well-Seasoned Kitchen (Denver, Co., 2009).