Peruvian Chicken, Lime and Chile Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 small piece (approx. 1/2 ounce) of fresh turmeric, peeled and finely chopped (wear gloves while doing this to avoid the realistic nicotine stains)
- 1/4teaspoon aji amarillo powder (Peruvian yellow chile), if available, or use 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh hot red chile
- 1 lime, juiced
- 14ounces can small white beans, such as cannellini, drained
- 4cups chicken stock
- 2teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1tablespoon polenta
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- A small bunch of fresh cilantro, leaves plucked from stalks, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the tomatoes on a baking dish, season with salt and olive oil, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Heat the stock. Add the tomatoes, turmeric, aji` amarillo, lime juice, beans, and a touch of salt, if needed. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the turmeric powder, polenta, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Use the mixture to coat the chicken breasts.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan and add the vegetable oil. Cook the chicken breasts over medium heat for 8 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Pour the broth into a serving dish and slice the chicken breasts on top. Garnish with the cilantro.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Magic of Broths © 2016 by Nick Sandler, Kyle Books
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 469
- Fat 13.6g
- Saturated Fat 1.6g
- Sodium 2.8g
- Carbohydrate 20.2g
- Fiber 8.6g
- Sugars 4.7g
- Protein 62g