Perfect Pie Crust
- Yield 20 servings
- Prep 10 minutes
- Cook 20 minutes
Bake your own pie crusts with this no-fail recipe.
This recipes makes enough for two deep-dish pie crusts.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vinegar
- Cold water
- Combine flour and salt. Add shortening and cut it into the flour salt mixture using a pastry blender, two knives (or your hands), until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine eggs, sugar, vinegar and enough cold water to make 1/2 cup.
- Combine liquid with flour mixture. Mix just enough to combine.
- Form into 2 balls; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- When rolling the dough, sprinkle and spread a minimum amount of flour (a pie cloth is ideal) on the rolling surface and roll when the dough is cold.
- 6. Place crusts in pie pans. trim and crimp edges.
- To “blind bake” pie crusts, place parchment paper in the bottom of pie crusts. Place pie weights or dried beans on top of paper. Place in oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until firm. Remove from oven; remove weights and paper. Return crusts to oven and bake 5 minutes longer, until light golden. Let cool 5 minutes before adding filling.
Recipe by Chef Chris Koetke