Rich Dessert Hot Chocolate
- 2cups heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved and scraped
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 3ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/3cup whole milk, or more as needed
- 1tablespoon bourbon or rum (optional)
- 1tablespoon white creme de cacao
- Combine heavy cream and vanilla bean in a heavy-bottom sauce pot and steep over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove vanilla bean.
- While waiting, combine sugar and egg yolks in a mixing bowl and whisk for 5 minutes, or until pale yellow and thickened.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup of hot cream into eggs, stirring constantly, to temper the yolks. Now pour the entire egg mixture into the hot cream while stirring. Cook and stir over low heat until custard is cooked to about 165F, or until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Add 3 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Move on to the next step, or thin with 1/3 – 1/2 cup of whole milk, as desired.
- Finish with 1 tablespoon each of bourbon or rum, and white crème de cacao, or your favorite liqueur and marshmallows (optional). Make 4 cups.
Watch us make the recipe: