Peppermint Stick Pie
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/4cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4cup sugar
- 4tablespoons butter, melted
- 1quart peppermint ice cream, softened
- 3-- egg whites
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6tablespoons sugar
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter; press into 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 375F for 8 minutes. Cool. Fill with ice cream; freeze pie. Beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff and glossy. Spread meringue over ice cream; seal completely around edges. Bake at 450F for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Return pie to freezer. Serve with chocolate sauce.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Fort Lauderdale’s Sunny Side Up (Fort Lauderdale, Fl., 1980).