Peppermint Stick Cookies
- Yield: 5 dozens
"This recipe came from my grandmother and was one she always baked at Christmas. It is one of my favorites."
- 3/4cup butter
- 6tablespoons sugar, plus additional for dipping
- 1 egg yolk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup crushed peppermint sticks or candies
- 1 egg white
- Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place a sheet of parchment on a cookie sheet.
- Blend butter and 6 tablespoons sugar. Mix in egg yolk and vanilla. Blend in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Stir in crushed candies.
- Beat egg white until frothy.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Dip top of each into egg white and then into extra sugar. Place on cookie sheet, sugared side up. Put thumbprint in top of each cookie and top with a chocolate chip. Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
– Marsha Brubaker, New Carlisle, OH