Penne with Butternut Squash and Sage
- Yield 4 servings
Try this tasty pasta and squash casserole.
- 16 ounces penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 -- shallots, minced
- 1 -- butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1/16 teaspoon allspice
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- -- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- 8 -- fresh sage leaves, julienned
- 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into narrow strips
- -- Olive oil to taste
- 1 cup (4-ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Cook the pasta using the package directions. Drain and cover to keep warm. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the shallots to the hot oil and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add the squash, allspice, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes or until the squash is fork tender; do not stir. Remove from the heat and gently stir in vinegar. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Spoon the squash mixture over the pasta in a bowl. Add the sage, prosciutto and a drizzle of olive oil and toss gently to mix. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix’s Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005).