Penne with Asparagus, Peas and Mint
- Yield 6 servings
- Cook 20 minutes
A vegetarian pasta dinner starring tender asparagus and the heady aroma of mint.
For asparagus and peas that stay bright green, stir-fry at the last minute and add to the finished pasta.
- 12 ounces dried penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds medium asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh shelled green peas
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/3 cup cooking water. Drain and return to pot. Stir in cooking water. Cover and let sit over low heat.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and peas; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Stir in salt, black pepper and wine. Add to pasta. Add mint; stir gently to combine. Spoon into serving bowls; sprinkle with cheese and almonds.