- Yield: 4 servings
- 3cups fresh tomatoes, chopped, seeded, peeled
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 1tablespoon minced shallots
- 3tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2cup chopped green olives
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil
- 1teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (optional)
- 16ounces penne pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a colander and drain to remove excess liquid.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and shallots and saute until tender but not browned. Stir in the drained tomatoes, capers, olives, basil, red pepper and anchovies. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water in a stockpot until al dente. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add the tomato sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and toss to mix.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Las Vegas’ Las Vegas Glitter to Gourmet (Junior League of Las Vegas, 2001)