- Yield 4 servings
A homemade pasta sauce that takes minutes to prepare.
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped, seeded, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (optional)
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a colander and drain to remove excess liquid.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and shallots and saute until tender but not browned. Stir in the drained tomatoes, capers, olives, basil, red pepper and anchovies. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water in a stockpot until al dente. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add the tomato sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and toss to mix.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Las Vegas’ Las Vegas Glitter to Gourmet (Junior League of Las Vegas, 2001)