Penne alla Vodka
- Yield 4 servings
This dish is easy, flavorful and the ingredients are available year round.
- 1 pound imported penna pasta, cooked "al dente", drained
- 1/2 stick (2 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 -- garlic cloves, slivered
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups pureed canned Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Cook the pasta while making the sauce. It will take as long to make the sauce as to cook the pasta "al dente", about 8 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat butter. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes on medium heat or until soft. Add garlic, mushrooms, thyme and red pepper flakes. Saute for another minute or until the mushrooms are slightly softened. Add the tomatoes, broth and half-and-half. Simmer on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes. (Can be made ahead up to this point.) Add vodka, salt and pepper and taste for seasoning. Cook another 2 minutes on medium heat. Place penne in a large serving bowl, top with sauce and sprinkle with grated Romano cheese.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Marguerite Marceau Henderson’s Savor the Memories (2002).