Pecan-Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 minutes
- Cook 20 minutes
If you like hot cereal for breakfast, give this a try. Look for quinoa, the "super grain," next to the couscous and rice at the supermarket.
Make this recipe ahead, then scoop a serving into a microwave-safe bowl, top with milk, and microwave 1 minute, or until hot.
- 2 cups 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Chopped toasted pecans, warm milk, honey or brown sugar (optional)
- Bring milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa, cranberries and butter. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans, honey, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Spoon quinoa mixture into four bowls. Top each serving with additional chopped pecans, milk, honey or brown sugar.
Recipe courtesy of the Georgia Pecan Commission.