Pears Flambe with Ginger Snap Crumbles and Ice Cream
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 6 mins
This dressy version of a pear crisp is perfect this time of year. And don't let the "flambe" fool you—prep time is less than 5 minutes.
Select pears that are ripe, juicy and sweet. Any in-season variety will work.
- 2 large ripe pears, halved, cored and cut lengthwise into 1/2
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons spiced or dark brown rum
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 6 ginger snap cookies
- 2 cups vanilla bean ice cream
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a nonstick sauté pan and melt over medium heat, stirring. Once sugar has dissolved, add pear slices and cook 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and lime juice and cook 15 seconds. Add rum and carefully ignite away from your face, hands or other unprotected skin. Swirl pan to coat pear slices in caramel mixture. Allow flames to subside and remove pan from heat. Divide pears and caramel evenly among 4 plates.
- Place ginger snap cookies in a zip-top bag and crush into coarse crumbles. Garnish each plate with crumbles and top with a scoop of ice cream.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.