Pearl Barley with Peas and Edamame
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1cup dry pearl barley
- 1cup shelled frozen edamame
- 1cup frozen peas
- 1cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 1/4teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt
- Place barley and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is nearly absorbed, 25-30 minutes. Stir in edamame and peas and cook, uncovered, until barley absorbs all of the remaining water, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in spinach; set aside. Combine Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sea salt in a small bowl, whisking well. Pour vinaigrette over barley; stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Reprinted with permission from The Carb Lovers Diet Cookbook by Ellen Kunes and Frances Largeman-Roth, Oxmoor House.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 227
- Fat 2.4g
- Sodium 213mg
- Carbohydrate 43g