Pearl Barley with Peas and Edamame
- Yield 4 servings
Candice Kumai's Pearl Barley with Peas and Edamame gets an extra kick from the Worcestershire sauce!
- 1 cup dry pearl barley
- 1 cup shelled frozen edamame
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Place barley and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is nearly absorbed, 25-30 minutes. Stir in edamame and peas and cook, uncovered, until barley absorbs all of the remaining water, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in spinach; set aside. Combine Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sea salt in a small bowl, whisking well. Pour vinaigrette over barley; stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Reprinted with permission from The Carb Lovers Diet Cookbook by Ellen Kunes and Frances Largeman-Roth, Oxmoor House.