Pear and Cranberry Pumpkin Pie
- Yield 10 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 75 minutes
- 1 -- recipe Cornmeal Butter Crust
- 3 -- firm but ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, halved, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine or port
- 1/2 cup turbinado or brown sugar
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 -- eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare pear topping, combine pears with wine, sugar, lemon juice and nutmeg in a 9-inch skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, 10 minutes. (Pears will be firm, but tender.) Remove from heat and set aside. Rehydrate cranberries in ¼ cup water.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare filling, combine pumpkin, sugar, eggs, heavy cream, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a bowl; whisk until smooth. Pour into the bottom of Cornmeal Butter Crust. Bake on a baking sheet 55 minutes. Remove from oven and spoon pear topping over top of pie. Drain cranberries and sprinkle over top. Return pie to oven and bake until filling is just set, about 25 minutes longer. Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool 1 hour. Chill 3 hours before serving.
Recipe by David Bonom