Pear Relish with Onions and Peppers
- Yield 12 to 14 cups
Pear relish is a versatile condiment that you can enjoy with soups, stews or anything else that pleased you.
- 4 cups finely chopped unpeeled pears
- 4 1/2 cups finely chopped white onions
- 3 cups sugar
- 12 green bell peppers (5 cups), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hot red or green peppers
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- Combine the pears, onions, sugar, peppers, vinegar, salt and celery seeds in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Ladle into hot sterilized jars and seal with 2-piece lids. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious; How to Cater Your Own Party (Decatur, Alabama, 1997).