Pear Relish with Onions and Peppers
- Yield: 12 to 14 cups
- 4cups finely chopped unpeeled pears
- 4 1/2cups finely chopped white onions
- 3cups sugar
- 12 green bell peppers (5 cups), finely chopped
- 1/2cup finely chopped hot red or green peppers
- 3cups vinegar
- 2tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2teaspoons celery seeds
- Combine the pears, onions, sugar, peppers, vinegar, salt and celery seeds in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Ladle into hot sterilized jars and seal with 2-piece lids. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious; How to Cater Your Own Party (Decatur, Alabama, 1997).