Pear Pie with Cornmeal Crumble
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 60 mins
Pears snuggle in a fruit-laden pie topped with crunchy streusel.
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
- Cornmeal Crumble:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Pear Filling:
- 2 pounds firm pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 7 cups)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Bake pie crust 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
- To prepare the cornmeal crumble, combine flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or your fingers until large crumbs form.
- To prepare the filling, combine pears, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and ginger. Spoon into pie crust; top with crumble. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake 35 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.