Pear-fect Prosciutto and Raisin Flatbreads
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 minutes
- Cook 10 minutes
Sauteed pears, prosciutto, raisins and cheese top pita breads for a quick appetizer or snack.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 pocketless pita breads
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup chopped peeled and cored firm pear
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 ounces chopped paper thin prosciutto
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese
- Set oven rack about 6 to 8 inches from boiler’s heat source. Preheat broiler to high.
- Brush both sides of pitas with 3 teaspoons olive oil. Place pitas on a large baking sheet and lightly toast each side under broiler.
- Combine balsamic vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until reduced and syrupy thick. Keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and onions and saute 5 minutes. Add prosciutto, garlic and allspice; saute 1 minute more. Stir in raisins.
- Spoon pear mixture on top of pitas, sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Drizzle warmed balsamic vinegar mixture over each.