- Yield: 6 servings
Don’t worry about rolling, folding and pleating the crust perfectly—its free-form nature is one of its many charms. Serve with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 1 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 8tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut in small pieces
- 2tablespoons sour cream
- 3 to 4tablespoons ice water
- 4 firm-ripe Bosc pears (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, halved, cored and quartered, each quarter cut in 3 slices
- 2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoon cinnamon
- 1pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1tablespoon milk
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter in with a pastry blender or two knives (or a food processor), until the size of small peas. Quickly mix in sour cream and 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water—just enough so mixture barely begins to hold together, being careful not to overmix. Pat into a disc, cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours.
- Let dough rest at room temperature 5 minutes. Roll dough out on a sheet of parchment paper to a 12-inch circle, and roughly trim (it needn’t be perfect). Slide parchment onto a baking sheet and chill 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss pears with lemon juice in a medium bowl. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl. Sprinkle over pears; toss gently. Add vanilla; toss again.
- Arrange pear filling in center of pastry to within 1 1/2 inches of the edges. Working quickly, fold and pleat edges of dough up and over pears. Dot pears with butter, brush top of pastry with milk, and sprinkle remaining 1½ teaspoons sugar over top of pastry and pears.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until pastry is golden and pears are tender. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
For a complete menu featuring Pear Crostada, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 412
- Fat 19g
- Cholesterol 48mg
- Sodium 202mg
- Carbohydrate 60g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 4g