- Yield 6 cups
A great way to preserve the season's bounty of pears.
- 4 1/2 pounds ripe pears
- 1 large green pepper, seeded
- 1/2 pound seeded raisins (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped, crystallized ginger
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 6 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup bottled liquid pectin
- Pare, core, and slice pears. Chop pepper. In a saucepan, mix all ingredients but spices and pectin. Tie spices in bag and add to pear mixture. Simmer until pears are tender and mixture is thick, about 2 hours. Remove spice bag and add pectin. Boil 1 minute. Pour into jars and seal.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Newnan Junior Service League’s A Taste of Georgia (Newnan Junior Service League, Inc., Newnan, Georgia, 1977).