- Yield: 16 servings
"We have three pear trees that really bear fruit! I've never done much canning, so I created this bread recipe to use our fresh pears. My family loves this simple and delicious bread."
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4cup vegetable oil
- 2cups sugar
- 2cups peeled and chopped pears
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix eggs, oil, sugar, pears and vanilla in a small bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Stir in nuts, if using.
- Spoon into pans. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans. Slice when cool. Makes 2 loaves.
–Jan Wiles, Holly Hill, S.C.