- 1/2cup brown sugar
- 1/4cup granulated sugar
- 2/3cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
- 1/4cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 eggs
- 1cup quick rolled oats (not instant)
- 2/3cup all-purpose flour
- Extra-fine salt for dusting on top
- Peanut Butter Filling
- 1 1/2cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup (heaping) peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) 2 baking sheets.
- To prepare cookies, combine sugars, peanut butter, shortening, salt, baking soda and vanilla, beating until smooth. Add egg, beating to combine. Stir in oats and flour.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets about 1 1⁄2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten each cookie to about 1⁄4-inch thickness, about 1 1⁄2-inch diameter. Sprinkle with a tiny amount of extra-fine salt, if using.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until medium golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. When cool, wrap airtight; they’ll soften if left unwrapped.
- To prepare peanut butter filling, combine all ingredients, stirring until smooth. 6. Spread filling on half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Makes about 22 sandwich cookies.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 13g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 150mg
- Carbohydrate 27g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 5g