Peanut Butter Coca-Cola Cupcakes
- Yield: 12 servings
- chocolate jimmies
- ground salted peanuts
- sel gris for sprinkling
- Coca-Cola cupcakes
- 1cup Coca-Cola
- 1/2cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1large egg
- Salted peanut butter frosting
- 4cups confectioners' sugar
- 8ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 3-4tablespoons heavy whipping cream
Make the Coca-Cola cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Line 12 wells of a standard cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a small saucepan, heat the Coca-Cola, cocoa powder, and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the granulated and brown sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove the mixture from the heat source and let cool for 5 to 7 minutes, or until it stops steaming. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg until foamy, then whisk into the cooled cocoa mixture. Gently stir the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners, filling them no more than three-quarters full. Bake the cupcakes for 25 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when pressed in the middle. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Make the salted peanut butter frosting:
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, peanut butter, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until just combined, then switch to high speed and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until the mixture is lightened and smooth. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2-inch/1.25 cm plain decorator piping tip or a resealable plastic bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with jimmies, ground peanuts, and a sprinkling of sel gris.
Reprinted with permission from Sea Salt Sweet © 2015 by Heather Baird, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.