Peanut Butter Cap’N Crunch Cookies
- Yield 20-24 servings
- Prep 20-25 minutes
- Cook 12-14 minutes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnmon
- 2 1/2 cups sifted pastry flour, or 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups Cap’n Crunch cereal
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar with butter and whisk to combine. Add peanut butter and whisk to combine. Whisk in egg and yolk, one at a time, then whisk in vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add sugar mixture and flour mixture, alternating one third at a time, to wets, mixing with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to combine. Add cereal, mixing until evenly distributed. Be careful not to overmix or overcrush cereal. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325F, with racks in lower and upper thirds. Line two half-sheet baking pans with parchment paper. Form dough into balls about the size of whole walnuts. Set cookie balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until edges are light brown and centers are still wet; don’t overbake. Immediately transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Let cool before serving.
To make a peanut butter ice cream sandwich, pair with peanut butter ice cream.
Reprinted with permission from the publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt from the Coolhaus Ice Cream Book by Natasha Case, Freya Estreller with Kathleen Squires. © 2014