Peanut Butter Apple Crisp
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
Cinnamon, peanut butter, and apple--throw on a little ice cream for a delicious desert
"My mother made this wonderful apple peanut butter crisp, sort of a cross between a pie and a cobbler. Mom thinks the original came from Ladies' Home Journal in about 1951."
- 6 to 8 green apples, pared and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Arrange apple slices in bottom of a lightly oiled 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Mix lemon juice and water and pour over apples. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Mix remaining ingredients until crumbly. Spread evenly over the apples.
- Bake about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Serve with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. Mix two tablespoons of caramel sauce with a tablespoon of peanut butter for a decadent sauce.
—Gael P. Mustapha, Green Valley, Ariz.