Peanut Butter Apple Crisp
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
"My mother made this wonderful apple peanut butter crisp, sort of a cross between a pie and a cobbler. Mom thinks the original came from Ladies' Home Journal in about 1951."
- 6 to 8 green apples, pared and sliced
- 1/2cup water
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4cup brown sugar
- 1/3cup peanut butter
- 1/4cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Arrange apple slices in bottom of a lightly oiled 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Mix lemon juice and water and pour over apples. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Mix remaining ingredients until crumbly. Spread evenly over the apples.
- Bake about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Serve with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. Mix two tablespoons of caramel sauce with a tablespoon of peanut butter for a decadent sauce.
—Gael P. Mustapha, Green Valley, Ariz.