Peanut Butter and Jelly Power Muffins
- Yield 20 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Whole-wheat flour and rolled oats make these muffins with staying power.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts, divided
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 20 (2-inch) muffin cups.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, maple sugar and cinnamon. Add oats, raisins and half the peanuts.
- Combine soy milk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, peanut butter, vinegar and bananas. Mash until well blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring to mix just until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full with batter, then drop a little jam onto the top of each muffin. Sprinkle with remaining peanuts. Bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Spoon extra jam on top, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from Lunch Lessons by Ann Cooper and Lisa M. Holmes (HarperCollins, 2006).