Peachy Chicken and Wild Rice Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4cups chicken stock
- 1cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1large white peach, diced ¼ inch
- 2cups rotisserie chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2cup green onions, sliced thin
- 3/4cup jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Orange-raspberry vinaigrette:
- 1/2cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2cup fresh (or frozen) raspberries
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 2tablespoons walnut or olive oil
- 2tablespoons shallots, mince
- 1dash salt
- 1dash fresh ground pepper
- 1tablespoon fresh basil, sliced very thin, plus 1 sprig for garnish
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in wild rice, reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered 50 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring from time to time. Drain remaining liquid from rice, cool. Transfer rice to a large bowl.
- In a small skillet, sauté walnuts in butter 4-5 minutes over medium low heat, or until golden, stirring often. Add the peaches and cook 1 minute longer. Add to the wild rice. Add chicken, green onions, jicama and feta cheese to rice.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice, raspberries, vinegar and honey in a small non reactive saucepan. Cover and cook over medium low heat 8-10 minutes or until berries begin to break down, stirring from time to time. Cool.
- Whisk in the walnut oil, shallots, salt and pepper and 1 Tablespoon basil.
- Pour over rice mixture and toss to combine.
- Spoon onto a serving dish and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil.