Peach Upside-Down Cake
- Yield: 8 servings
Peach Upside-Down Cake is one of my family's favorites. I make it in the summer with fresh peaches and in the winter, I drain my canned peaches and it is just as delicious.
- 3tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5tablespoons butter
- 1cup packed light brown sugar
- 2cups sliced peaches
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To prepare the cake, combine the butter, granulated sugar, and egg; beat with a mixer, beat at medium speed until creamy and smooth.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture alternately with the milk to the butter mixture, beating at low speed and beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Increase the speed to medium and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla; beat well.
- To prepare the topping, heat the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until well blended. Remove from the heat.
- Arrange the peaches in the skillet. Pour the batter over the peaches.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert the cake onto a large plate.
Recipe by Ruth Fegley, Barnesville, Pa.