Fresh Peach Upside-Down Cake
- Yield: 10 servings
- 3 to 4large peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained, stems removed
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 2large eggs
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- Place peaches in a bowl; add lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Add 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and let stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar and remove from heat. Spread sugar and butter mixture evenly over bottom of skillet. Drain liquid off peaches. (You may want to reserve for other recipes). Arrange peaches and cherries in skillet over brown sugar mixture.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; whisk to combine.
- Combine 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup granulated sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to butter mixture; mix well.
- Spread batter evenly over top of peaches and cherries. Bake 1 hour.
- Remove from oven. Place a plate over the skillet. Invert to release cake. Serve warm with whipped cream or peach ice cream.
Recipe by Diane Smith, Pine Mountain, Ga.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 350
- Fat 13g
- Cholesterol 70mg
- Sodium 390mg
- Carbohydrate 56g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 5g