Peach Upside Down Cake
- Yield 8 servings
- 3 to 4 large peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 small (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Place sliced peaches in a bowl; add lemon juice to prevent fruit from turning brown. Add granulated sugar and let stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar and remove from heat. Spread sugar and butter mixture evenly over bottom of skillet.
- Drain liquid off peaches (may want to reserve for other recipes). Arrange peaches and cherries in skillet over brown sugar mixture.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; whisk to combine.
- Cream remaining 1/2 cup butter and granulated sugar together; add eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to butter/sugar mixture; mix well.
- Spread batter evenly over top of peaches and cherries. Bake 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and turn upside down on to a serving plate while still hot. Serve warm with whipped cream or peach ice cream.