Fresh Peach Upside-Down Cake
- Yield 10 servings
- 3 to 4 large peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained, stems removed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- Place peaches in a bowl; add lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Add 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and let stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar and remove from heat. Spread sugar and butter mixture evenly over bottom of skillet. Drain liquid off peaches. (You may want to reserve for other recipes). Arrange peaches and cherries in skillet over brown sugar mixture.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; whisk to combine.
- Combine 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup granulated sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to butter mixture; mix well.
- Spread batter evenly over top of peaches and cherries. Bake 1 hour.
- Remove from oven. Place a plate over the skillet. Invert to release cake. Serve warm with whipped cream or peach ice cream.
Recipe by Diane Smith, Pine Mountain, Ga.