Peach Pudding Cake
- Yield: 6 servings
Fresh peaches are simmered to make a syrup that is folded into the cake batter, giving it a pudding-texture. Use the juiciest peaches possible.
- 6 ripe peeled peaches, halved
- 2teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds removed, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4cup water
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1cup self-rising flour
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Vanilla ice cream or creme fraiche (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch round cake pan or springform pan.
- Place peaches cut side down in a large skillet with brown sugar, vanilla bean seeds and water. Simmer 5 minutes. Cool.
- Combine butter and sugar; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs; beat until light and fluffy. Add flour, salt and syrup from cooked peaches; beat until blended.
- Place peaches cut side down in prepared pan; top with batter. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. When cool, remove from pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if using. Serve with vanilla ice cream or creme fraiche, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver’s The Naked Chef Takes Off (Hyperion, 2001).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 340
- Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 110mg
- Sodium 490mg
- Carbohydrate 46g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 6g