- Yield 8 servings
Enjoy this season’s produce with a homemade pie! This one gets most of its sweetness from the fresh peaches and blueberries.
- Whole-wheat pastry butter pie crust:
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons very cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 6 peeled peaches, sliced thinly
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot (found in spice section)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fruit sweetened apricot spread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- To make the crust: Mix the whole-wheat pastry flour with the salt in a medium bowl or a food processor. Put cut butter in the freezer while mixing flour and salt. Add cold butter pieces and cut in using a pastry blender or by pulsing in the food processor. Add ice water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time until dough forms into a ball. Gather up and pat into a disk. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- When ready to use, roll dough out between 2 sheets of wax paper into 1 (9-inch) disc. Place dough in pie plate fitting loosely and then pressing into place.
- To make the filling: Toss the fruit with lemon juice, pinch of salt, arrowroot, spices, apricot spread and honey. Carefully place the fruit in the unbaked pie shell.
- To make the topping: Mix the oats, flour, almonds, maple sugar, and salt together in a bowl. Add the oil and, with fingers or a pastry blender, mix until crumbly. Sprinkle the topping all over the pie, carefully pressing down just a bit to secure.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hour. You may want to place a cookie sheet on a lower rack under the pie to catch any juice that may drip down onto the oven.