Peach & Berry Lattice Pie
- 4 peaches
- 1 large orange
- 1 1/2tablespoons quick cooking tapioca (or 3 tbsp cornstarch)
- 1pinch nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2cups mixed berries
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- Pastry of 9-inch double crust pie
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Peel peaches, if you wish. Slice into 1/2-inch wedges. Then cut each wedge into 3 pieces. They should measure about 3 cups. Place in a large bowl. If using large strawberries, slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Halve small strawberries. Place in a measuring cup. Add other berries to make 2 cups. Add berries to peaches.
- Finely grate 1 teaspoon orange peel. Place in a small bowl with 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice. If using tapioca, heat for 20 minutes to softened. Then add sugar and nutmeg and mix well to break up tapioca. Pour over fruit and toss until well distributed. If using cornstarch, stir with orange peel, sugar and nutmeg. Then add to fruit along with 1/4 cup orange juice. Toss well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, roll out half the pastry and fit in a 9 inch pie plate. Trim edges to 1 inch beyond rim of plate. Do not prick bottom. To prepare lattice crust, roll remaining dough into a 10-inch circle, approximately 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 1/2 inch wide strips. Turn filling into prepared crust. Place half the strips over filling about 1 inch apart. Repeat with remaining strips, placing them in opposite direction to form a diamond pattern. Trim strips so they are even with edge of pie. Then bring over-hanging bottom crust up and over lattice strips. Gently press together to seal edges then flute.
- Beat egg in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons water. Brush pastry with egg mixture. Bake on bottom rack of oven for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 F and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 225
- Fat 10.5g
- Carbohydrate 30.8g
- Protein 2.9g