Pea and Parmesan Crostini
- Yield 6 pieces
Peas that kids will not only eat, but love? You betcha.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 basil leaf, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 (1/2-inch thick) slices of baguette
- Preheat your panini press, or use a grill pan set over medium heat.
- Let the kids combine the peas with 1 cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes until peas are heated through (you can alternately do this in a small pot on the stove top). Drain peas and add them to a medium bowl. Kids can mash peas with a fork until the skins pop. Then let them stir in the olive oil, cheese, basil and pepper; set aside.
- Add the bread slices to your panini press and cook until golden and toasted, or place them in the grill pan and toast lightly on both sides. Help kids spread an event amount of the pea mixture on top of each toasted slice of bread. Serve immediately.