PB and OM Muffins
- Yield 1
- 1 cup soymilk, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup Sucanat
- 1/2 cup natural crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup nondairy plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure orange extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade (preferably not bitter) or 1/4 cup (24 g) vegan marshmallow creme, such as Ricemellow Creme
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, vinegar, Sucanat, peanut butter, yogurt, salt, and extracts until emulsified. Add the flour, oats, baking powder, and baking soda on top. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, being careful not to overmix. If the batter is too dry (the texture of the ingredients will vary), add a little extra milk until it is more manageable.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of batter in each paper liner. Make a little well in the center of the batter and place 1 teaspoon marmalade in each well. Top with the remaining batter, dividing it among the muffins. The batter should reach the top of the liner.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. Remove from the pan and place on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Recipe note: Make these with orange marmalade (OM) muffins if you’re looking for more traditional breakfast goodies, or use marshmallow creme if you feel there’s no wrong time for “fluff” (nix the orange extract if going for the latter). You can also use a different jam or jelly according to your preferences–we’re all about versatility!
–This recipe reprinted with permission from the cookbook Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites by Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman.