Pasta with Red Sauce, Mushrooms and Sausage
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 30 mins
A hearty pasta dinner featuring a savory red sauce with Italian sausage.
- 1 pound pasta (fresh or dried) such as fettuccine or tube-shaped pasta
- 12 ounces bulk Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth or dry white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Reserve a 1/4 cup of cooking liquid, drain pasta. Stir in reserved cooking liquid. Keep warm.
- Crumble Italian sausage into a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove sausage from pan and set aside. Add sliced mushrooms to pan and sauté in drippings about 2 minutes. Remove mushrooms from pan and add to sausage. In the same pan, add garlic, basil, and red pepper flakes (if using), and sauté until garlic is fragrant. Add prosciutto and sauté 1 minute. Add chicken broth, bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and cook 8 to 10 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and sausage mixture and stir until combined. Simmer sauce, partially covered, about 20 minutes. Stir in sugar (if using) and cook 1 minute.
- Place warm pasta in serving bowls. Top with sauce and cheese.