Pasta with Green Vegetables (Pasta Verdure Verde)
- Yield 4 servings
Broccoli rabe (or broccoli), zucchini and chickpeas combine in this fresh Italian pasta dish.
You can use penne, ziti or rigatoni instead of orecchiette pasta. If broccoli rabe is too bitter for you, substitute broccoli. The pasta water combines with vegetable cooking juice and the chickpeas to form a light sauce coating the pasta. You can use any seasonal green vegetable.
- 1 -- (16-ounce) package orecchiette pasta
- -- Water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 -- garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (rapini), heavy stem ends removed and discarded, remainder chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup drained canned chickpeas, rinsed well
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- -- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling, optional
- Cook pasta in plenty of boiling water to cover according to package directions until tender but still al dente. Drain, saving 1 cup pasta cooking water for later use. Rinse pasta in cold water to stop cooking; drain.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute 3 minutes until lightly browned. Add garlic and broccoli rabe and continue to saute 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini and saute 3 minutes until all vegetables are very tender. Add chickpeas and reserved 1 cup pasta cooking water. Simmer 1 minute to combine flavors. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add basil and cooked pasta. Combine well and serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired.