Pasta with Garbanzo Beans
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
This pasta with garbanzo beans is nutritious and easy to put together for a quick dinner or holiday buffet. Because it pairs beans with pasta, it's a great complete protein dish for vegetarian diets.
- 1 pound fusilli or gemelli pasta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions, making sure not to overcook. When pasta is almost done, saute garlic in olive oil in a separate saucepan. Stir tomatoes and beans into the oil and heat through. The pasta should be done at the same time the other ingredients are hot.
- Toss them together with the cheese and basil. Season to taste.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Great northern or black beans can be used in place of the garbanzos. Add sliced red and green peppers to the vegetable mixture for a colorful flair.
—Teresa Mourad, Ann Arbor, MI