Pasta with Caramelized Vidalia Onions
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2tablespoons butter
- 3cups Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1cup vegetable stock
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1pound pasta, cooked and drained (orecchiette* is recommended)
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the Vidalia onions. Sauté until they begin to brown; increase heat. Stir in the sugar. Sauté until the onions are caramelized or dark brown. Add the stock. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Add the pasta and mix gently. Cook just until heated through, stirring frequently. Spoon into heated pasta bowls. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee