- Yield 4 servings
This soup freezes well.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounce) white beans, navy beans or Great Northern beans
- 1 can (14 ounce) Italian-style chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup small pasta shells or macaroni
- 1/4 cup sherry or white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Brown the ground pork in a large saucepan, stirring until crumbly; drain.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender.
- Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, pasta, sherry, fennel seeds, black pepper, red pepper and salt and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Sarasota, Simply Sarasota, Creative Casual Cuisine (the Junior League of Sarasota 2007)