Pasta alla Norma
- Yield: servings
- 1box Barilla PLUS Penne
- 3sprigs fresh basil
- 2medium eggplants, diced
- 4cloves garlic
- 1/2medium red onion, 1/4-inch dice
- 2tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1sprig fresh thyme
- 1cup Ricotta Salata cheese, freshly grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Red chili pepper flakes
- 2tablespoons salt
- 28ounces Italian plum tomatoes, canned
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Place eggplants on a dry sheet pan and place in oven to bake until soft and dark golden brown, about 12-14 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
- Heat olive oil in a 12 to 14-inch skillet until smoking. Add the onion and the garlic and cook until soft but not yet browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and thyme; bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Add eggplant and simmer about 6 minutes; remove from heat and set aside. Cook PLUS Penne 1 minute less than the package directions. Drain well and pour the hot pasta into the pan with the eggplant mixture.
- Toss over medium heat to mix and then pour into a heated serving dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese, parsley, mint, chili flakes and torn basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Courtesy of Barilla