Passover Mandel Bread
- Yield: 18 servings
"My children love Mandel Bread year-round. Now I can't make enough for my family and friends. My daughter has adopted it for her children, who love it."
- 2cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1cup (2 sticks) margarine, softened
- 6 eggs
- 2 3/4cups cake meal
- 3/4cup potato starch
- 1cup chopped walnuts
- 6ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 to 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine 2 cups of the sugar and the margarine in a large bowl. Beat until creamy with a mixer at medium-high speed. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat until well blended.
- Sift the cake meal and potato starch into the egg mixture. Beat until well blended. Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Shape the mixture into 3 loaves, about 3 x 6 inches each, on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Arrange the loaves about two inches apart on the baking sheet. The dough will be sticky.
- Combine the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl; mix well. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the loaves.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and slice immediately or let stand 10 minutes, then slice and cool completely.
Recipe by Marion E. Hankin, Boynton Beach, Fla.