- Yield 16 servings
Make the topping the night before then spread of sliced French bread.
- 1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup black olives, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced
- Mix all ingredients, except bread, until well blended. Chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place bread slices on an ungreased baking pan with sides. Spoon topping mixture evenly on top of bread slices. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
—Mary Louise Giamfortone, La Marque, Texas