Parmesan-Crusted Portobello Mushroom Caps
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 3 mins
- Cook 10 mins
The meaty tops of Portobello mushrooms are the closest thing to steak in the vegetable kingdom, and I love to grill them just like a steak.—Bobby Flay
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Combine Parmesan and thyme in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Brush mushrooms on both sides with 2 teaspoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms upside down on grill and cook until golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn over and continue grilling until thoroughly cooked, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- When mushrooms are cooked, without removing them from the grill, carefully divide cheese mixture among mushrooms. Close cover of grill and cook just until cheese melts, about 30 seconds. Remove to a platter and drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil over each mushroom.
Recipe by Chef Bobby Flay