- Yield 12 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 scallions, minced
- Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly coat 12-cup popover pan or muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and put in oven to preheat. Whisk flour, Parmesan, salt and pepper into medium bowl. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
- Whisk eggs, egg white, milk and butter until frothy. Pour into well of flour mixture and whisk just until smooth. Stir in scallions.
- When a drop of water dances and sizzles in the pan, it’s hot enough. Spoon in batter, dividing it evenly among the 12 cups. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350 and bake until golden and puffed, about 10 minutes longer. Immediately remove popover from oven pan and quickly make a small slit in the side of each to release the steam.
Used with permission from the American Diabetes Association. Taken from the Diabetes Comfort Food Cookbook by Robyn Webb, MS.