Pantry Potato Cheese Soup
- Yield servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 50 mins
This adaptable soup recipe uses whatever you have on hand.
This soup is super versatile -- use any kind of cheese you have on hand and almost any kind of stock or water -- even wine instead of beer. Or omit the beer altogether. Any kind of milk will work, too.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces country ham or ham or bacon (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 to 5 large potatoes (russets or Yukon golds)
- 6 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup beer
- 6 ounces grated cheese (any combination of Cheddar, Gruyere or your favorite)
- 2 cups milk
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add country ham, onion and carrot. Saute 5-10 minutes. Cover and sweat for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and stock or water, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Puree in food processor, leaving some chunky if you like. Return to saucepan, add cheese and cook until melted. Add milk until desired consistency.