Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat
- Yield 2-4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Warm up and fill up with this homemade recipe for a Panera Bread classic.
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups broth or stock
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2-1 pound broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Sauté onion in softened butter. Set aside.
- Steadily whisk together flour and melted butter together over medium heat for 3-6 minutes, being careful to not burn the mixture.
- To make a roux (the base of your soup), continue to whisk mixture, while slowly adding half-and-half. Mix well until smooth.
- Add broth and continue to whisk. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add broccoli, carrots and onions.
- Cook over low heat until all vegetables are tender; 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the soup has thickened, use a blender to puree the soup and make it smooth. Once smooth, add grated cheese and stir into soup to incorporate.
This recipe originally appeared as CopyCat Broccoli Cheddar Soup from Panera on wannabite.com.