Pan-Seared Spicy Asparagus with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Yield 2 servings
A great side dish using fresh asparagus and earthy mushrooms. Add diced firm tofu to make this a vegetarian main dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 pound asparagus, bottom ends trimmed, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 1 -- (3.5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Heat canola and sesame oils over medium-heat in a large nonstick saute pan or skillet. Add ginger, garlic and chili flakes; saute 1 minute. Add asparagus and mushrooms, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes until asparagus are tender but al dente. Add soy sauce and sesame seeds and combine well.