Pan Seared Cod with Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Yield 4 servings
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chile paste
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar (or balsamic)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked edamame
- 4 -- (6-ounce) halibut or salmon fillets
- Combine the first four ingredients, plus ½ teaspoon of the sesame oil, in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat ½ teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon peanut oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the shitake mushrooms sauté 2 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper, sauté 30 seconds. Add the edamame; cook 2 minutes to heat through.
- Heat the remaining peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Dredge the fish filets in the hoisin/vinegar sauce to coat, then sear, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Divide the edamame onto four plates. Top each with a fish filet.
Recipe by Chef Terry Conlan, Lake Austin Spa.