Pan del Campo with Cheese and Greens
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 8 mins
- Cook: 12 mins
“Pan del Campo, the original cowboy or camp flatbread, was cooked during the trail era in a skillet over an open fire.” Spears uses packaged biscuits and tops them with a pesto-like “mash,” cheese and greens for a rich, salad-like appetizer.
- Cilantro Nut Mash:
- 1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4cup chopped pecans
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon smooth goat cheese
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- Pan del Campo
- 16ounces refrigerated biscuits (8-count), "Grand" size
- 8-- bacon slices, cooked until very crisp, drained and crumbled
- 4-- ripe tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 2cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1cup goat cheese crumbles
- 2cups field greens, washed and patted dry
- To prepare Cilantro-Nut Mash, combine cilantro, cheese, pecans and garlic in a food processor. Pulse while gradually adding oil. Add goat cheese and season with salt, processing just until slightly smooth.
- To prepare Pan Del Campo, preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove biscuits from can. Cut or pull apart into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 8-inch round on a floured work surface with a floured rolling pin. (The thinner the rounds, the crisper, lighter and better they’ll be.) Transfer to baking sheets and bake 10 minutes, or until browned. Remove from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 400F. Spread each crust with 1 tablespoon Cilantro Nut Mash. Cover evenly with crumbled bacon, tomatoes and cheese. Return to oven 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese melts. Remove and garnish with field greens.
Recipe adapted from Grady Spears and June Naylor's The Texas Cowboy Kitchen.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 510
- Fat 33g
- Saturated Fat 14g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 55mg
- Sodium 1100mg
- Potassium 420mg
- Carbohydrate 32g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 21g
- Trans Fat 2.5g
- Vitamin A 4-%
- Vitamin C 20%
- Calcium 40%
- Iron 15%